Old 06-02-2013, 08:03 PM
52 F-1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 66 F600 project, way out of my league here.

Hopefully I am in the right forum, I have no clue what the tonnage of a truck like this is considered.

For various reasons I may end up with a 1966 F600 with 13960 miles for $500. I am told it is fully functional and driveable though I haven't had time for more than a walk around in the neighbors field and the battery was dead.

I have pictures uploaded to a photobucket account including the door data plate.
EDIT: Deleted pics.

It has a PTO powered hydraulic dump bed. Engine seems to be a larger truck version of the standard 300 I-6. The transmission is apparently a 5 speed with the 5th being overdrive (according to the shift ****) which I didn't know they had back then, I have no idea what actual model it is or whether or not it is synchronized. The rear axle is huge, no clue what model there either. It has too many sticks on the floor, I have a hunch the one with the safety button is for a high/low range and the one that moves forward and backwards is for the dump bed. I am guessing the big white pull lever on the dash that says Muncie is for engaging the PTO so I would guess this is a Muncie transmission.
The only problems I can find is the ignition switch was half assed replaced with an incorrect one to get it running though the original parts are still there, windshield is damaged enough that it should probably be replaced eventually, rust holes on rear corners of cab and various places involving the front fenders though its all fixable and fairly normal for a Twin Cities DSO truck that spent all 47 years up here as a farm truck. Everything seems to leak some, and the hydraulic ram for the bed appears to leak a lot. The interior is rather trashed and the windows all leak which i think has rusted the door bottom some. The rear corner of the dump bed is bent up, the rear bed frame rail on that side is a little bent too but it doesn't appear to have bent the pivot for the bed at all.

It is actually being purchased by my step father to move several loads of gravel and rock though I can tell already I will end up doing most all the work on it and eventually owning it.
I like the truck due to its vintage look a bit more than I should and I fear I may treat it as a project rather than a farm truck and try to over fix it up, what can anyone tell me about this truck and opinions on how easy they are to "restore".
Perhaps I should just go for a get it running and leave it at that, I assume this is a really common truck options and size wise right?
EDIT: I am going to have to go through the weigh stations with this thing when they are open aren't I. What does this weigh when empty, 20k lbs gvw cant be the truck weight, so what part is truck and what part is cargo capacity?