Old 05-15-2013, 05:55 AM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Here are a couple pictures. It is pretty much done, I just have to bolt it together. All the pieces aren't in the picture - there are 2 2x4's that go under the arms you see there. Then on the end of those 4 pieces there is another assembly. If you know how a floor jack works the part that you set your block on that does the lifting is what the assembly is - it travels up and down always level (not straight, it moves in an arc because of the arms but that doesn't matter any - keeping the cap level is).

I don't know how much this means right now, but I test lifted the arms you see there. Being held on the end like that should still but a decent amount of stress on the hoist - enough to tension the cables and get the mechanism working. Cranking it up was like a feather. Then I went to drop it and the come-along wouldn't let out any cable. I pulled the latches and I had to pull on the cable to get it down. When it is all together and the load of the cap is on there I think that will change I figured the cap to be around 300lbs. If my math is right, that puts well over 1000lbs of force on the hoist cable, 2:1 and there is 500lbs on the come-along assembly, and 2:1 again and that is 250lbs on the come-along cable drum. That is, of course, negating losses and inefficiencies.