Old 05-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Orpackrat
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Filter Clogging on something/Getting SVO parts

I bought my truck from a guy who used it lightly for 7 years and just help people move things with it, 5 years ago, it had a ton of work done to it like a new head gasket and more for an oil leak into the cylinder. The guy he bought if from had it converted to run Bio-D and ran some kind of special fuel line system. They guy I got if from had difficulty running regular diesel through it so he had the fuel lines changed back.

When I bought the truck, I noticed a second fuel filter and though that was cool but did not pay much attention to it, I changed the regular fuel filter on it but left the other along, didn't think much of it.

In the process of dropping and emptying my front tank (heavy thing full), changing a couple lines to EDPM (still got some others to change), I starting tracing the fuel lines to the engine. I found that before the fuel pump, they went through that other filter. I removed it and found it to be a 2 micron filter and completely clogged, the bowl on the bottom had 3/4" of brown sludge. The filter was clogged and since it would be days till I could order one and I'm waiting on a paycheck (transferring jobs still and getting on payroll), I decided to clean it out as best I could with gasoline. Worked great, got it cleaned out lot, used about a gallon on gas and soft edge of a screwdriver to break free the junk from the filter, I got it usable for a temporary till a new one.

Got it primed and re-installed, after re-installing the tank and lines, I filled it back with my bio blend (good thinned out, we use it all the time in the work truck trouble free although I will be converting to a heated system asap so I don't have to blend) that I pumped from the tank (it was still nice and clean so the tank inside is okay for now).

Ran the truck for 15min in the driveway, switching between tanks to prime the front tank lines for the first minute or so. Went on a drive shortly after running blend and before long, about a 1.5 miles while waiting to turn, the system starved and died. Took a bit to get the diesel primed and start the engine but we did it while traffic backed up behind us in the turn lane in the burning heat.....

Anyways, ran the rest of the errands on diesel, noticed a heater core leak so I will be bypassing that till I can get a new one (don't really need a heater in this heat right now anyways so it can wait). I thought to myself that maybe the fuel pump was struggling to pump the blend though the 2 micron filter and that was starving the system so I bought a fitting to bypass that filter. Upon installing the bypass (still have the trucks original filter going) and removing the filter, I noticed some more sediment in the bowl, I hope its just stuff I dislodged in cleaning because it was not brand new clean it was just miles better than before. Still, I wonder, I have the 2 micron filter bypassed and will see if it stalls again on the Bio, I hope not because I only have my 30gal of blend to last me 200 miles till my next payday (plus 6gal or so diesel in the rear tank for start-up and shutdown).

If I do get more junk going through the system the factory filter should catch it and its cheaper to replace at only $16 in store vs the 2 micron at almost $50.

Here is the filter when I bypassed it and removed it:

I hope the bypassing of the filter will ease the strain on the bio on its way up, I have a new fuel pump installed (pain to get that second inside bolt on), going to do a test drive on it later tonight around the block, the stall on bio has happened twice, once before seeing that 2micron filter, 1 after cleaning it, and I hope not to have it at all now that its bypassed.