View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 10:47 PM
caliRangerXLT
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by montecarlo31
Mike,

I think what you found was the downfall portion of newer motors. I'm not a ford man so take what I say with a grain of salt. I do spend my days getting paid to spec equipment and haul trucks and have had the ability to run and help spec some of the baddest haul trucks on the road so I've got a good knowledge of how things actually work.

I'm guessing there is a lot more torque limiting going on with the new trucks than they could do in 06, look at the amount of computing power the ECM has now vs then. While the engine may "make" 80% of it's torque at 1,500 to 4,000 or whatever it is they say the ECM may very well limit that torque in first gear to save the transmission, torque converter, or even the rear differential.

So say your engine is putting out 320 ft lbs of torque at 1,500 RPMs, about when the converter really starts to catch and pull. The ECM will look at a number of other inputs and say, yes keep that torque there or pull timing and fuel and lower it some to prevent drivetrain damage or excessive loading.

What makes me even more sure of this is that as you make these deeper transmissions you are now running a great deal more multiplied torque through your running gear, so your input torque maybe 320 on both the 06 and 08 but with the reduced (higher) ratio your now putting out 30% (not a real number just a place holder number) more torque to the same drivetrain so they will tone it down some to keep other hard parts alive.

GM is well known for this tactic in their abuse mode and delayed power application. GM will not let you get 100% power with your foot on the brake, they also make you wait 4 seconds at WOT before the fuel table is changed and you get real full power.

I'm sure ford is doing the same thing to save their drivetrain. Remember, with those same lower numbers your running more "torque" through the back of the transmission than ever before. I hope this makes sense as I've tried to make it as common sense as possible.
Thanks Montecarlo, great stuff. I've always wondered what the fixation on final gear ratio was about. Any gear train is a product of its components, and now it seems with the electronic control upfront there is an additional element. Cool stuff.