Old 04-05-2013, 04:35 PM
julioch
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exchanging steering wheels please help!!!

Hello dear experts, here I am with this beautiful wood steering wheel I bought to replace my damaged and old original steering wheel in my 2001 Ford Excursion. As always there is something to take care of… Here we go:

My old steering wheel only controls cruise control, the new one controls that in the left side and in addition a bunch of other things on the right side. I know for a fact that my vehicle is not wired to control all these other features as radio, A/C, etc.
Here is what I want to do:

1)Makes cruise control work (only option available in my old steering wheel).
2)The lights of both controller work during the night (as it was before)
3)The worn works again.

My only guest is to have this done is to perform the following:

1-Cut and connect the old harness from the old steering wheel (little and black) in to the vehicle with the wires pilled off.

2-Cut the harness and pill off the wires from the new steering wheel.

3-Match and connect all wires from the vehicle (the wires coming out of the little and black harness I did in step 1) to the new steering wheel.

“Here is the problem”, I was told to match colors of the wires and should be OK (example: Blue with blue / green with green etc) but, I do not think the entire color match…

“Here is the Solution” If someone can tell me if this is the right way to do it. I think that if someone find the electrical diagram on both vehicles and compare them you should easily can tell me which wires do I need to joint from the vehicle to the new steering wheel, in order to connect: A) Cruise Control B) steering wheel buttons C) The horn.

Thank you friends and hope that someone can help me