View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 01:48 AM
Cubawashere
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
no... no sealant is needed on that pick up tube, but there is a gasket so you don't have that "broken straw" effect....needs to be sealed so it can suck up the oil. I'm pretty sure there's a gasket for the pump too.

On the 3.8, I strongly suggest "head gasket set"... it includes most of your seals and gaskets, including upper and lower intake gaskets..*edit.(i just read you did, sorry)...but you may still need injector o-rings for when you pull off rail which aren't included.... There's also a pretty good amateur youtube video I saw which gives even more insight...I post that link in a few minutes for ya.

question: how did the head gasket blow? As in did the coolant mix in the crankcase (mix with the oil)? or just blow out externally? or did oil go in the coolant?

If the gasket blew making coolant leak into the engine oil, and you didn't drain the oil pan, the coolant in that mixture does a huge number on bottom end bearings..... in that particular case only would I suggest used motor instead. For one, it would be cheaper, and last longer.

If the gasket blew the other ways, then by all means, just replace gasket and check for warp before reassembly. I only mention all that info to give you heads up, and possibly give you other options -and not throw your money or time away.