View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 06:44 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hreyesg

The failed transmission had quite a bit of shavings/dust and clutch pieces and don't know if those contaminants could've affected the torque converter.
Yes, they can and will affect the torque converter. Any time a transmission has a failure like that where there are bits and pieces of bearing/bushing/clutch material present, everything in contact with the transmission oil should be considered contaminated. Torque converter, oil cooler lines, and the coolers themselves are now full of metal shavings which will go back into the replacement transmission and cause it to fail.

Junk that old converter, or give it up for a core charge on a new or rebuilt one.

Did you flush the cooler lines before installing the new transmission?

Ford recommends that the actual cooler(s) themselves be replaced, which for the radiator cooler means replacing the radiator. I know some folks try to flush them but you have to be absolutely certain to get all the old junk out. If it were me, before I even connected the cooler lines to the new trans I would have flushed the lines out, bypassed the radiator cooler, and installed a new heavy duty cooler behind the grill.