Thread: 8.8" rebuild?
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 04:16 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
8.8" rebuild?

Here is some pics of the 8.8" differential I purchased, to be a donor setup for my truck.

It is a 3.55 ratio, with Limited Slip, and here's my concerns:

-When I drained the fluid, 4 metal "Slugs" fell out. Turns out they were at one time, the tabs on some of the shims.

-The gears look great, Ring Gear, Pinion Gear, and Spider Gears all look to be in good shape, with no cracks, chips, etc.

-The Carrier Cross Pin Bolt broke apart, and I had to extract it , and I noticed a bit of wear in the carrier its' self.

Here's some pics to help with my questions-

The fluid was RANK, due to age, and Friction Modifier. Long overdue for a change.

Here's some other pics as I disassembled the Carrier, etc.

Note the broken Cross Pin Bolt to the right.

Some time later, when I have some money to actually buy some parts, here's the carrier, etc.

Notice the "Nicks" around the edge of the hole.

And the other hole.

Aside from needing some cleaning/polishing, the spider gears look to be free of cracks, etc.

And the mystery metal pieces I found that were mangled, when I first opened the differential up. Turns out, they were broken off tabs. :/

So aside from the obvious new set of shims, and bolt, what else would I need to put this back in my truck?

I know I need-

-Pinion Crush Sleeve
-Pinion Bearing/Race
-Carrier Bearings/Races
-Shims/kit

Here's a small kit I found-
Ford Racing 8.8" Traction-LOK Rebuild Kit w/ Carbon Discs M-4700-C - Free Shipping!

Not all the parts, but a portion of them.

Any input?

Thanks in advance guys.