View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 01:25 AM
lupahe1966
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face VIN location search in Europe

Hello to all of you Ford F trucks enthusiasts. I just bought a 1966 Ford F 250 Camper Special in California.Beautiful condition without being perfect. I had it shipped to Europe and it is now stuck in Customs who will not release it until I can find the corrrect VIN number. The title VIN does not match with the door tag VIN. Title is for a F 250 (F25YR887216) and door tag shows an F 100 (presumably the same year F10AR816459). Everything on the truck looks F 250. The seller (a baptist pastor from CA) is embarrassed but is adamantly claiming it is an F 250, which I really think it is. All the bills, invoices and registration certificates received with the truck s exhaustive paperwork dating back to the late 80ies consistently feature the F 250 VIN. www VIN checks also have not revealed any salvage title fraud, which is what customs are suspecting now. We searched and searched and I could not find the VIN on the frame. Of course, reading your descriptions, I now realize we searched in the wrong locations. I have found your descriptions and explanations extremely helpful and I will take this info back to the Customs warehouse on Monday. I will go straight to the frame rail as you all described. I hope it can then all be cleared quickly. The truck was manufactured in late July in San Jose, CA. Is there a specific VIN location for the 1966 F trucks built in San Jose ? Interestingly, the CA registration was renewed in late 2011 by the CA DMV. Does the DMV not verifiy original VIN on frame ?