View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 11:52 PM
ralphhood3
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by onug
I disagree with the previous post, the current Explorers are AWD if you choose that option. I can get power to the rear wheels under normal conditions and the car controls where to send the power. The switch just modifies the power transfer ratio, throttle response and the electrical nannies. It doesn't change the mexhanical linkage.
So not intending to start a flame war, but just stating the facts as I understand them...

I bought a 2013 Explorer in October, and we compared it to an identically equipped Edge, and the dealer made a big point in explaining the difference between the AWD on the Edge, and 4WD on the explorer. Having owned an expedition that was AWD I understand the difference, but I'm just legitimately curious if you're so convinced, then why does my 2013 Explorer Limited have a 4WD badge on the tailgate and say 2WD on the instrument cluster LCD when I disengage the control **** on the center console???

I also just went to the Ford website to make sure I'm not imagining things, and the explorer is explicitly listed as available in 4WD or FWD and the Edge is listed explicitly as available in AWD or FWD. I also don't see anywhere on the Ford site that shows any available option or equipment package that gives you AWD, just the 4WD option.

Not sure Ford would advertise the Edge and Explorer differently in this regard if they both functioned the same way.

Again, not trying to start an argument, just honestly trying to understand what I'm missing.

Ralph