View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Mark_be
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's an update with extra pictures:

I'm having the transmission rebuilt at this time to that point that it has zero miles on it and will/should be a lot better than when the truck drove out of the Ford factory when it was built. The reason for this is that it will have the full Sonnax treatment on the transmission and the torque converter and everything - really EVERYTHING is going to be replaced with stuff from Sonnax, even if the parts still look "as good as new".

The first and most important problem with my transmission was a COMPLETELY over the top worn reverse gear. The other problems: 3rd and 4th started to get black, the torque converter slipped and had a leak when the ATF got warm enough. I didn't have a temp gage at the time, so I don't know at which temperature it started leaking. It was after driving uphill with switchback after switchback after... for many miles.

Here are the reverse plates:

It has NO friction material on the plates left at all and the guy from the transmission shop has NEVER seen this before (17 years of experience in rebuilding/upgrading US automatic transmissions - I'm from Europe, btw) and if he didn't drive the truck himself to test the transmission, he would not have believed me if I told him that this truck still drove in reverse. Anyway, luckily I had a fluid leak after driving many switchbacks uphill, because I would not have taken it into the shop if that didn't happen, because there were no other signs at all!!

I have some extra pictures of various other parts as well.

Torque converter before rebuild (see wear on neck of axle)

Torque converter after rebuild (no wear anymore) and now has a Sonnax dual disk inside, from Borg Warner, actually:

Other gears (3rd and 4th were starting to get black), but don't know which is which:

One of the MANY Sonnax improved parts, compared to the OEM parts: (boost valve, if I remember correctly? Don't know a lot about these things)

Other parts:

The cleaned transmission body:

Park pawl:

It will also have a transmission cooler now and a temp gage, so I can check the ATF temperature while driving these switchbacks uphill. Not sure which cooler(s) it's going to be, but it will be one of these options:
* 3x Tru Cool 4590
* 2x Tru Cool 4739
* 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler (preferred, but not as easy to find in Europe)

All options should give about the same cooling capacity, but it will depend on what's in stock and which has enough room to be placed.

Can't wait until the job is done.