Old 02-23-2013, 09:15 AM
Snowman 8
Elder User
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by gabes
As I am asking one of the other responders, do you feel there is a clear advantage to an F250 over F150 with regard to pulling stability (due to heavier components, etc.)? I am aware that the new/newer F150s are better rated for towing compared to my '05, but I am also looking at the overall level of stability and whether it would be noticeable to me to pull with an F250 versus an F150. As much as the gas mileage report on the new F150s is enticing, I am willing to give efficiency up to gain a better towing experience...I was once told that if I am going to get into camping (i.e. towing a travel trailer or 5th wheel), don't do it if I am looking to save money, 'cause it won't happen...I am OK with that.
Yes my F350 is more stable pulling heavier trailers, mostly because it is 1500-2000lbs heavier than my F150. It is my work truck loaded with tools, chains, cables etc., also has a 105 gal diesel fuel transfer tank in the box. If you are setup with the right hitch and you are only talking about 6-8000lbs you won't have any problem with a new F150, the trailer sway controller that comes built into these new trucks is amazing. I have a 30' long 9.5' tall enclosed trailer that I pull with both trucks and if there is no wind you don't even know its there. But if its windy I don't care what you pull it with F150 or F350 it will move you around! Now as far as stopping power again the F350 is heavier, but your truck isn't suppose to do all of the stopping that is why the trailer has brakes and it is suppose to stop itself. The brake controller that comes built into these new trucks are far superior to the aftermarket controllers.