View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 01:08 PM
1952henry
Fleet Mechanic
Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by garthr
i have a 42 that i also found in a barn 30 years ago. im older now and the jeep is in my barn for the time being. having a sound body is rare. the 42 came equipped with a canvas top with hoops, no sides and no doors. it also had no heater, and hand operated wipers. the front and rear axles were; front-spicer, model 25, rear, model 25 full float. the frame and running gear are weak, more power WILL break parts. the engine is low comp. 140cu. fuel mileage was rated at 8mpg although it was capable of running kerosene, diesel, or gasoline with no more than a timing adjustment.
garthr
I think that is untrue. The later M-series 2.5 and 5 ton military trucks had a multi-fuel Continental engine that couldburn various petroleum products, but the pump had different orifices depending on the viscosity of the fuel.

Jeeps, or any carbureted engine, can burn a gasoline-favored mixture of the above mentioned fuels, but certainly not diesel straight. Think about it, if you could simply burn diesel in a gas-burner, everyone would have done it years ago when diesel was much cheaper than gas. WW2 Jeeps had the same carburetor (Carter WO) and fuel pump as civilian Jeeps.