Old 02-18-2013, 10:07 AM
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
will it be a long life medium duty diesel like the powerstroke. or have a service life closer to a gas engine? if they built a cheaper diesel to make people happy, it most likely won't last much past 100,000 mi. then everyone in the states would argue that they are junk. right? we all like the idea of driving a diesel to 500k miles and there is a premium for that. as much as i would love a 4 or 5 cyl diesel in something the size of a dakota, they would rival the gasser counter part. except possibly requiring more maintenance and stricter emissions. people would shun them. because a diesel should out last the truck it is in.

doesn't ford already have a 6 cyl diesel in some box trucks? i talked to a guy on our loading dock. he was not a fan. 12' box truck, said it was under powered and thirsty. 2 complaints that would kill sales in the 1/2 ton world. i was interested because i had recently learned of this engine and would like a smaller diesel for a project. but to many complaints about it in stock form. "fix" that engine and drop it into the 150. just make sure it is available to the xl crowd as well.

enthusiasts would love it and maintain them, but in mass numbers they would be abused, and probably fed gasoline.

again, i and most people who frequent this site would be happy and enjoy such a truck. but i do not see this catching on soon. which makes me cry a little bit.

sorry for the long post, but this is how i see it.