Old 02-17-2013, 10:58 AM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sfrost7
I just converted from a GMC Sierra Vortec Max gas (towing pkg.) to a 2013 F350 6.7L diesel. My Vortec Max had GM’s claim to fame VVT (variable valve train) which would slip into 4 cylinder mode to save fuel. Only during highway driving and drafting behind a semi did this feature have any value. My average mpg was 16 on a good day, unloaded with a tail wind.
The 6.7L is awesome. I was on the fence between the 6.2l gas and the 6.7l diesel in the Super Duty. I almost order a 6.2l but got a great deal on my 6.7l truck. The 6.2l is a great engine but it in the SD it’s like sticking a 4cyl Pinto engine into a Crown Vic.
Now that Ram has made this announcement of a diesel 1500 that changes the playing field. As the future unfolds and more diesel trucks hit the market the value impact on ¾ ton plus gas trucks will surely take a hit.
The diesel vs. gas options/debates will continue and those apposed will be more inclined when diesel is cheaper then gas this summer. That’s coming from the gut, but it’s already tightened up at the pump from a month ago.
Diesel used to be cheaper than gas up til about 2007 or so. The popularity and demand for diesel is such that I don't see it dropping lower than gas. I hope you are right tho. What leads you to think gas will out price diesel this summer?