Old 02-16-2013, 03:10 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dodge coming out with diesel half ton, where is ford??

as you can see from my handle I had been a long time dodge truck owner. I drove dodges for 15 years. I have always followed their offerings and features. for years dodge was sucking hind tit to ford and chevy when it came to features and options. recently with fiat buying dodge now called RAM BTW they went through some financial turmoil and other issues evidenced in what I feel were lacking diesel truck offereings from 2010-2012 model years, specifically refusing to upgrade to SCR technology when ford and chevy already had it. things appear to be changing at dodge. the new dodge heavy duty ram truck looks to me like a contender. The other exciting thing is a half ton diesel. why in the world has it taken SOO long to get a half ton diesel truck. isn't the f150 the best selling vehicle ford has?? but no diesel option. I see that the ecoboost has been a HUGE hit for ford. so its clear that people want trucks that get good mileage. The diesel dodge is going to use while not rated for the half ton yet IS rated for the cherokee at 20 city 28 highway!!!! don't take a double take you read that right and thats even for the 4x4 model cherokee. so I don't see the half ton ram coming in at less than 18-26 mpg for a 4x4 model. so some might say why is this a big deal for guy like me I pull a 6000 pound trailer for my business. I have been buying more expensive 3/4 ton diesel trucks for years banking on the fact that when towing my trailer I can average about 12mpg vs 6.5 mpg with a gas engine, however recently my fuel mileage for highway use with a diesel hasn't been all that great coming in at around 16 mpg, leaving me wondering if I would be better off with an ecoboost engine with better highway mileage but yet still terrible towing mileage. now all that appears to maybe change with the dodge offering, what if I could realistically average 23-24 mpg on the highway but yet still get the 12 mpg when towing?? for someone like me who doesn't pull super heavy loads this could be a big deal. I just wish for was a player instead of dodge. sorry for rambeling.