Old 02-15-2013, 11:12 AM
TCAPer
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to FTE! You'll find this is the most knowledgeable and friendly community around.
I bought my '63 unibody this spring and immediately my wife called it a "money pit" too! I prefered the word "project". I plan on fixing it up - looking nice but not being afraid to drive it to the lumberyard, nursery, etc. Even driving it to a few local "car shows" - no trailer queens here!
I bought it sight unseen off the internet - yea I know! - the PO said it had solid floors but the cab mounts need replacing. He was right in the cab mounts but the floors just had sheet metal pop riveted in. I will need to remove the sheet metal and put in new floors too. I also discovered the core support was rusted out on the bottom. It was beyond my skill level to repair, so I purchased a used one on eBay. I'm waiting for the weather to warm up some to work on it again. (It was about 2 below this morning - before wind chill).
One of the reasons I bought the truck was the big back window but the PO had huge bucket seats which completely covered it up. I pulled those out and replaced them with a bench seat - I covered the seat with a quality horse blanket seat cover - not the cheap China ones from the local auto parts store.
Eventually, I'd like to install disc brakes on the front and put in a new master cylinder and brake lines too. I'm not planning on going overboard on any part of this project - just to have fun while I'm doing it.
Here's a picture of my '63: