Thread: Train Horns
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 11:32 AM
parker245
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed them in front of the radiator, right in front of the factory horns.

I didn't hook them up to the horn on the steering wheel opting to keep the factory horns usable. Instead I installed a "special" red button in the cavity where the factory brake controller would go.

A little closer view -

I got these off Amazon. I looked briefly there but couldn't find them still there. The graphic in my original post shows the kit.

If you do the install, use heavier gauge wiring and a heavy duty fuse holder instead of the one that comes in the kit. The one included in the kit is a tube style buzz fuse and the wire leading to and from the screw in, inline fuse holder is substandard. A buddy of mine installed the same kit on his Dodge using all the wiring that came with the kit and kept blowing the fuse. He went above and beyond and installed a 40 amp breaker.

These are as loud as I think I could find without going to the full blown compressor models. Each horn has its on-demand compressor. Most other kits I saw had one on-demand compressor for multiple horns. It I ad to this, I'll make sure I get another on-demand compressor for the third or fourth horn. Right now, it will get peoples attention for sure. I can't tell you how many people I've made jump through the roof with them!

And yes, before somebody makes the comment, it is a dirty truck. It is just a sign of it being used for what it is intended for the last few months. Camping down a dirt/gravel road 8 miles out in the middle of the Ouachita Mountain Range, driving to the skeet and trap club once a week down a muddy road, generally rainy here for the last month, and just returning from a trip to the lake. Maybe I'll take the time to clean it up once it begins to warm up. But the week after next is another camping trip up to Broken Bow, and after that up to White Cliffs again in Arkansas. The Boy Scouts are keeping my hopping.