View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 04:57 AM
46/71 Hybrid
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Eddie
I try to burn B100, from Houston BioDiesel whenever I can, and have since Y2K or thereabouts; I'll never forget just how much the 12V BTA 5.9 smoothed out when the petrodiesel segued to the Bdiesel at the combustion chambers; night and day difference!

I asked HBD's owner (and pump jockey/cashier/warehouseman/buyer/salesman/class instructor/etc., you get the picture) about this phenomenon, and FWIW, he told me Bdiesel has not only higher lubricity values, but B100 has a cetane rating around 65+-, whereas USA-spec petroleum diesel runs 54 (the lowest in the world, BTW). Perhaps exaggerated slightly (c'mon--11 points?), but considering the improvement in engine performance I saw, I have no real reason to doubt him.

Eddie, The
On my usually traveled route which includes NY, PA, OH, NC, WV, and VA, I have seen several diesel pumps with stickers indicating their diesel cetane rating is 40-45. I think the minimum must be 40 since I've never seen it lower than that. I would love it if the min spec was 54, the highest I've seen is 50 on a few premium diesel pumps.

As far as us being the lowest in the world, I lived in eastern Africa for 2 years and can undoubtedly tell you that their diesel isn't nearly as good as ours. I don't have any hard numbers but I know of several fuel stations that in no way, shape, or form, had a higher cetane rating than what we have in the US.