View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 09:24 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver
Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Better you than me. I would START the quote at 40 hours on an E-Series. As far as the method you decide to choose, it's entirely up to you. By now. everyone who knows me, KNOWS I refuse to tackle this repair other than doing it with the cab/body removed from the frame. I realize that on a cutaway application this may prove extremely inconvenient, but you also need to know what's involved with pulling an engine on an E-Series the back killing way. And that is, engine mounts, turbo, pedestal, intake manifold all removed IN VEHICLE, along with all the other BS up front before you can even think about trying to squeeze it out the front. And even with all of the above mentioned items removed, it's still a very tight squeeze.

With all that said, pick your poison on how you want to proceed with this repair. For what it's worth, the last two complete engine replacements I did on an E-Series, I did it without having to disassemble even one component before dropping the new assembly in between the framerails with the body removed.

Believe it or not, you would be amazed at how relatively few components there are, that need disconnected to separate the body from the frame on an E-Series compared to the F-Series applications.