Thread: Train Horns
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 12:35 PM
parker245
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train Horns

Been wanting to do this for years, but never got around to it 'till just recently. I installed a set of train horns earlier this month. I didn't get the full blown set with the compressor and tank, but these have individual compressors for each horn and they are plenty loud.

I did a couple of things different on the install over what the installation instructions indicated. I replaced the wire that came with the kit with some heavier gauge wiring and tossed the fuse assembly for a heavier duty, water proof flat fuse instead of the glass tube fuse supplied, and I added a secondary switch so I still have the factory horn hooked up to the steering wheel. I didn't get the factory trailer brake controller so where it would have gone in the dash was simply a slot I used to put my cellphone, business cards and crap like that. I installed a red button inside that compartment so that it was out of the way and obscured from view.

While I had it all apart, I installed my phone cradle and added my cellphone booster as well, mounting a low profile antenna on the windshield.

Anyway, the horn is a novelty, but I've been able to scare the crap out of some people on more than a few occasions, and am waiting on the first idiot sighting on the road to remind them to get out of my way. The only downside to it is now every time my son gets in the truck, he finds tons of people and things to blow it at.