View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 01:52 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Weight limit on tailgate?

Ok,

Anyone know how much weight you can set on the tailgate of a new (2012) SD without buckling the tailgate?

I know a guy that needs his gun safe moved and I may offer to help him. I believe the safe weighs 1200 lbs. I've moved many safes in my day, as I used to deliver them for customers, some heavier than this one. I used to just tip the safe back against the open tailgate and use the edge of the tailgate as a fulcrum and pick up (with help obviously) the bottom of the safe and lift it up and in. This is the easiest way to transport a safe without a full blown moving van and tommy lift gate.

Problem is I used to do this with my old 74 Dodge Powerwagon 3/4 ton 4x4. I knew the tailgate would take the weight as I'd done it many times before with safes, big block engines, etc.

Now I have a new SD, and at least the outer fender sheet metal is noticeably thinner. Not so sure about the inner tailgate panel or top edge of gate buckling when we fulcrum lift it up and in. I'm not worried about the inside of the bed getting dented or scratched or anything. I just don't want to crush or buckle my tailgate, or have the stay cables break and drop the whole safe to the ground.

So, anyone know the weight limitations on placing loads on the tailgate itself?

Thanks.