View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 11:11 PM
New User

3/4halfton is starting off with a positive reputation.
1988 2wd f150 3/4 ton drivetrain swap

I am undertaking my first major project with my trucks. I have a 1987 f250 4x4 6.9 diesel 4speed regular cab long box with a very very solid drive train but a extremely rusty body and rusty just about everything else. I picked up a very clean low mile 1988 f150 2wd supercab short box and am planning on swapping the dana 50 ttb front, 10.25 sterling and 6.9 diesel 4speed and transfer case.

I am starting with the front ttb right now as it seems like the most difficult thing. The plan is to keep the dana 50 axle completely intact and convert it to coils and radius arm. I know that it would be easier to just go solid axle but this is what I have and I like doing things that are different. The goal is to have a heavy duty 8 lug that can achieve about 12 inches of wheel travel in the front.

I have both front ends out of each truck right now and looking at the differences it looks like the hard part is going to be locating the axles properly as the lengths are different. The 2wd beams are longer and they sit up in the cross member further. I am planning on fabricating brackets for the dana 50 beams.

I am wondering if anyone has done a swap like this ever and if they have any advice or helpful hints. I understand that I am taking the road less traveled on this one and remember that I fully understand that there are easier ways of doing similar things. This is my first time documenting things like this and I will be trying to take pictures along the way.