View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 06:39 AM
boogar69
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After getting my Photobucket page restarted, I have finally become able to post pictures. I need to put a different axle in the rear (I have the Timken 4.86 rear axle)... the gears prevent it from being driveable/practical... and I have a line on an axle from an '86 F250.
I know that everyone recommends using one from a 68-72, but I haven't found one of those yet. The '86 has 3.53 gears which would be great, but I'm just not sure of the differences in brakes, widths and such. Everything I seem to find and read is for F100's or the earlier axle swap. I have the 4-speed transmission, which with the 4.86's make 1st gear useless and if I am rolling I can easily start in 3rd. The 292 runs great, but as I was saying, the gearing just isn't practical to drive it anywhere. If anyone has suggestions, I would like to read them. I haven't posted this to the main "48-56" page yet, if I can get the information local and with someone I might meet at a cruise, get face-to-face or something like that I think it would be better... but I can post all of this over there, too.

Thanks for any help and I hope you like the pics-