Old 01-06-2013, 12:36 AM
SgtSudds
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Spurredon, "BRAKING" - Disc brake kit?? -further explanation for proposed changes to '60 panel

Thanks for your comments. Yes, my wording left a bit to be desired. In the interest of keeping the posting brief I wrote it thus.
However, what I am finding with this truck, that I have not found quite so "intense" in my other vehicles is best described this wayI have fixed/addressed each of these issues, on the truck, as best I can)
1. The steering "wanders'. I have installed new parts, and made it as 'tight' as possible.
2. Having serious problems with braking. With hard application, the truck will actually 'change lanes". I almost lost total control one day, and I was traveling at less than 30 mph. I have new bearing, hubs, drums, linings - the whole 9 yards. The only thing I have not done is to remove the automatic adjusters. I am wondering if that has any bearing on the problem. I have 'sanded' the linings to make sure of even wear. Frankly, I am at a loss.
3. The 223 engine is a great engine. However, it is leaking at the rear main seal. And, it is starting to show a bit of 'blue'. So, a rebuild would be in order.
4. The gear 'ratios' are a bit interesting. It seems the best gear to be in almost all the time is 2nd. Perhaps that is normal. I think this is geared for city. I believe it has the 3.89:1 rear end. Going anywhere on the highway is a bit of a chore.
5. Lastly, my wife has expressed a desire to be able to drive this vehicle and has authorized the expenditure. She would prefer a larger engine, and safer brakes.

I have thought about simply changing the front brakes to disc, and I am sure there must be a kit around, but I have not been able to find one. Perhaps you have an idea where I could get a kit? Frankly, the brakes are the issue that bothers me the most regarding safety.
Regards,

Sudds

I hope I have chosen better words to explain my issues. I'm not saying the 223 is 'not safe'.