View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Jhouse85
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SMIGGS
WTF?

Unless you REALLY clearify yourself on this post I would think you were driving thru the WRONG country to Alaska.....

Where exactly in Canada was gas 3 bucks a litre and you saw a cop every 500 miles?

Nevermind driving thru a country at exactly 37 miles an hour to get optimal fuel mileage.... last time I checked the speed limit on any highway to get thru Canada was 100 kph....around 62 - 65 mph.
Well I will admit there were some zones that were 80 kph (50 mph) but at least 1000 miles was 60 kph (37 mph). This was in the winter of 09 I believe? Might have been 08 but I'm fairly sure it was 09. Gas in California was almost $5 a gallon at the time and I distinctly remember $2.96 a liter at most of the Canadian stations along the highway. Although the 2.96 was Canadian dollars but I believe Canadian and american dollars were pretty close at the time.

The reduced speed might have been temporary as a large majority of the trans alaskan highway was under construction/road repairs. We had to drive behind pilot cars on gravel/ frozen mud roads

Edit: Please forgive me if my speeds were off. I am terrible at changing english to metric. I was taught the most illogical method of measurement ever conceived in school. 12 inches in a foot? 5280 feet in a mile? There is no consistency to it and it appears the numbers were made up at random.