Old 01-01-2013, 12:49 AM
2005X
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To EL or not? King Ranch or not? (shopping currently)

Hey all,

Sold my Excursion couple years ago now for crew cab truck, and with 3 kids and road trips, miss the SUV and third row. Have my truck sold now, so under the gun to do some shopping. Will be a daily driver for now, but do intend on adding a third / commuter car soon to leave parked at least few days a week, fyi.

Set out to look for a 2005 X (excursion) with the V10, but not finding any with low miles and the captain chairs in second row, which are a must per my family. So, now looking at Expeditions, probably used since not too impressed with year end "discounts" on new models, 2010 or 11 preferably. Have a couple questions for those in the know here, as most my experience was in the Excursion forum previously...

1) Stadard or EL? When we road trip with 3 kids and a dog, we tend to pack a lot of junk with us, which was why the X was always handy. Thus, set out looking for EL model, but once I started looking, I wonder if we really need it. One of the differences interior-wise is the split, fold flat third row. So, most the time I will just have one kid back there, and could fold down either the 70 or 30 side for packing "stuff" further forward as needed. Did not have that flexibility in the Excursion with solid third row... So, wondering if there are maneuverability advantages to the regular length Expy? Mainly in parking lots and towing/turning radius? Or will I miss the extra cargo capacity? There is also the cost difference, which varies by model/dealer but the ELs tend to bring few K more...comparably equipped on the used market.

2) King Ranch or Limited leather? Not a big fan of the 2-tone EB seats, although I could live with it for the right deal. I have always had a thing for the King Ranch interiors but was never avail in the Excursion, so could not pursue it. Have seen few in the 2010 -12 Expeditions and although it's a little more "red" than the older models I still really like the looks of it. I think I partly like that that it comes with black carpet, and the Limiteds with tan leather mostly have light carpet (3 kids, not kind to light carpet). So, since I'm shopping anyway, kinda looking for king ranch, but did not know if there is a lot more maintenance, easier to scrath, etc... Seems like the newer / more red KR seats have more finish to them like the other leathers, have they gotten easier to care for, or is it a PITA? I don't mind conditioning every few months if that is all it takes, did that with my other trucks anyway.

Feedback is appreciated, esp if you have owned one with the KR leather in these years...

Thanks, Geoff.

(PS, here is a link to one I'm gonna go drive soon, if we decide don't "need" the EL space. Has everything Im looking for except for DVD player):
Cincinnati Infiniti Used Cars | Infiniti of Cincinnati

Then there is this FSBO option, older than looking for, but it's an EL and looks to very clean with reasonable miles at 105K - but not sure about the "first year" for new model, makes me littls nervous, but it's half price from the asking price of 2011 KR:
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/3499407923.html

Last edited by 2005X; 01-01-2013 at 12:56 AM. Reason: revise comments upon proofreading