View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 01:37 AM
Little Jerry
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple of novice queries...

Had a search of the forum and couldn't find a post about the below, apologies if its been asked before....

I'm rebuilding an 89 F-150 from the ground up in my garage and was hoping to pick the brains of some people here.

a) The truck has a 302 hooked up to a 3 speed auto. I'm not sure what the diff ratio is but the truck does 3,000rpm at 100km/h (aka it was setup to tow). Can anyone recommend a diff ratio that works with the 3 speed that would have me cruising (sub 2K rpm) at highway speeds? I have no intention of towing with this vehicle.

b) As far an engines go, is the 302 windsor family consistent across the years?

My current EFI motor seems to have all manner of pollution controls etc hanging off it - EGR and AIR systems? (I'm still learning about these). Can these be removed without adversely affecting the engine? I want a real clean engine bay.

Also my engine is also has the speed density intake system which from what I read means I have to basically keep it stock to avoid running issues. I'm not after pure hp, but I plan on rebuilding it and it would be a shame not to bolt on a few aftermarket goodies while I'm at it. The current 302 is a little weak especially if I make the diff taller.

In terms of wiring etc, is the EFI 302 from my F150 very similar to say a 302 out of an AU falcon?

Appreciate any assistance.

Adam