Old 12-30-2012, 04:48 PM
lannondiesel
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dalerivers
Hi Desert Joe,

If your still around and have a minute...I have another question for you or anyone else that may care to reply. But first, I want to thank you for your tip here for getting at those last two miserable bolts...I really think it will help me out.

Do you have any tricks for getting the exhaust crossover pipe and catylytic convertor off without destroying the parts? The bolts are so badly rusted that I'm afraid I'm just going to snap them off with a long bar and my impact won't even touch them. Am I looking at purchasing new exhaust parts ontop of the clutch pieces I have already bought? If so, this might put the total over the top for my wife's old truck (although it's otherwise in very good condition) and she's done paying....wants to junk the truck rather than invest any more cash.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks everyone for the great information.....

Dale
I'm in the same situation as you, I am attempting to do the clutch on my brothers '96 Ranger and I can not get the trans out with the exhaust in place and my exhaust will not come off either, I broke both studs on one manifold and the can not budge the bolts on the other side. I am wondering if i can sawzall that body "lip" off and gain enough clearance to slide the transmission out, anybody attempt this in the past? Because of the already busted exhaust bolts that need to be repaired, my brother is already considering junking the truck.

I was also considering loosening the cab mount bolts and jacking the cab up an inch.... not sure if thats a good idea or not.....