Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Single Post - How Many Folks Building "Beaters"
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Post Fiend

abe has much to be proud ofabe has much to be proud ofabe has much to be proud ofabe has much to be proud ofabe has much to be proud ofabe has much to be proud ofabe has much to be proud ofabe has much to be proud of
I used to have a beater... from 1977 when I bought it to July 1998 when I took it to the body shop. I had the engine rebuilt in 1979 and used it as an almost daily driver or second vehicle.
Before: as it was in 1977:

A before from 1983:

After in 1999 fresh from the body shop:

I do miss the beater days. Now I have to wash it and be careful with it. I put a rug and/or plywood in the bed before I haul stuff. But I had to fix the body as it was just rusting away. After a rainstorm there would be rustmarks on my concrete driveway. There was major cancer rot in the usual places. Although I do like the finished look now. I wish I could have both.... Maybe that is the role my 70 F350 will fill. Although when I was looking for a dump truck my wife says she wanted a pretty truck (meaning good paint), not a rust bucket...

Last edited by abe; 12-30-2012 at 05:27 PM. Reason: mistake