View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 02:51 AM
racer280465
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1999, F250 Super Duty 7.3L powerstroke

Hi all,
I broke mah truck :-(

Needs some advice, no experience as we know with US trucks mechanicals, but i'm about to lol.

Went upto Crown King this weekend, and a foot of snow, confident my 4x4 f250 super duty would keep me out of trouble. Now, when I slid off the road into the ditch, I had a couple of surprises waiting for me.

The hubs i thought were auto, don't appear to be, they were set to auto lock, but didn't. Am i right in thinking they are only auto if you have the electronic on the fly switches?

So, when the hubs were manually turned to lock, Imagine the appalling language i was FORCED to use, when there was a not very attractive graunching noise from the passenger side hub, and still only rear wheel drive!

Now, I have a couple of questions. Is it likely to be the hub unit "stripped" as used to happen on the Land Rover hubs i'm used to, and if so, is it an easy change? If it's not the hub, but the drive shaft, I am lead to believe that is not good, and very expensive to sort, is that right?

FYI, when put in 4x4, and when the back wheel is spinning the front driveshaft can be seen turning, but obviously not turning the wheel. Is it likely to be anything other than one of those 2 things? How can any other fault be diagnosed?

Sorry for the LONG list of questions lol.

I look forward to any advice, I await with trepidation hearing from you guys and girls :-)