Old 12-15-2012, 03:07 PM
Mcgiveral
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shane Cummings
Hello all. Here's a little information about my truck. It's a 2000 F-150. Two wheel drive. 5.2 Liter V8. About 133,000 miles on it currently.

Here is the problem I have been having with it recently. Right around 45-50 mph, my truck starts to jerk or studder as I attempt to accelerate gently. It has not been too bad, but it has been prevalent for the past few months. Yesterday, after an 8 hour drive on highways, when I got back onto a regular road, the truck would jerk/studder around 45 mph and it was so bad that I could not drive past 45 mph.

It does not always happen when I drive, but now it is occurring more frequently. I want to bring it into the shop, but want to hear what you guys have to say about this problem first. Thanks!
I had the same problem with my 2004. It would shudder and sometimes bang when giving a slight increase of throttle when it was in overdrive and it would do the same thing when the cruise control was engaged and it was increasing the throttle slightly for an increase in grade.

I too thought it was a transmission issue because it wouldn't do it when the overdrive was disengaged. After an exhaustive search for the problem over many days I finally decided to remove the aftermarket spark plugs and put in the plugs from Ford (expensive) and TADA the problem was solved.

One or more of the plugs wasn't putting out the spark that was needed at the point of upshift and caused the engine to bang etc. Even the dealership hadn't heard of this but several months later I found out someone else came in with the same issue and the tech I informed of this issue replaced the plugs he was the shop hero lol. Oh and I found out that the truck he worked on also had aftermarket plugs in it so I guess it pays to stick with OEM!