View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 09:02 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well...Here's our upcomming compatition!

Not really sure where to post this, mods feel free to move this thread if need be.

Well here we are...The 2014 Chevrolet Silverado uncoverd.

Gotta say I love that Wagon Queen style quad headlight setup! (sarcasm)

Honestly this is pretty sad IMO...I'm not just being critical of it because its a GM product, but also because it looks essentially the same to me. The exterior is hidious IMO, though im sure someone will love it. The Interior is AWFUL...Looks like the same cheap matieral that GM's been using in their trucks for the past 15 years. And whats up with the driver steering wheel? Anyone notice how it sits off center to the driver seat location? Also is it just me? Or does it look like the dashboard is giving birth to the navagation system? I've heard several complaints about this in the current model of GM trucks, figured they would have addressed this since they had a clean slate to start with.

The front end sits to close to the ground, But Ford is also guilty of this.

The square fender wells, Some love them, others hate them...Doesn't really seem to be any gray area here.

I am intrested to see what the new...''Or so GM says'', new engines bring to the table...They are the same displacement as the engines GM currently offers. 4.3L V6 5.3L V8 and 6.2L V8, which GM is now calling ''Ecotech'' guess Vortec was a little to 1990's for them. I'm really not a fan of this whole ''Eco'' movement. I don't even like that Ford calls the Ecoboost the Ecoboost. Lets get real...These trucks regaurdless of who manufactures them are not ''Eco'' type vehicles. So lets just cut out all this naming stuff ''Eco'' BS...I heard Ford was orignally going to call the Ecoboost the ''TwinForce'' which to me sounds much cooler.

GM hasn't relesed any power numbers for these engines yet, but I suspect it will go somthing like this...

4.3L vs 3.7L

5.3.L vs 5.0L & Ecoboost

6.2L vs 6.2L

I suspect GM will play a game of one upmanship, slightly outdoing all of Fords current offerings with their respective competitors.

Hard to beleive the 4.3L is still in service...Didn't this engine debut in 1980? Or somewhere therbouts?

Another thing I find commical is that GM now incorporates their own version of the ''Man Step'' an option that GM has poked at Ford for since it was introduced. GM just has theirs built into the rear bumper.

Can't honestly say there is much I like about the new GM truck. But then again there hasn't been a GM truck I thought looked good since the late 1990's.

Thougts? opinions?

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/12...-revealed.html