View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 08:06 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,446 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by abubba1
I was thinking it might be the bedplate but was wondering how they would find out with dye? Is the bedplate visible with a mirror from the top or bottom? If it turns out to be the bedplate it's my understanding they have to do a cab off and remove the engine to repair the leak. Almost sounds like open heart surgery. Has anyone had this cab off done and then experience problems with the truck due to lack of attention putting it all back together again? The truck is still under factory warranty until the end of the month but I have Ford extended warranty for two more years after that. If it is the bedplate I'm sure it will be an expensive fix.
The bed plate is visable from the lower part of the engine block. Using the dye makes diagnosis fairly accurate. At a minimum have your oil leak diagnosed to find out the location of the leak as sometimes it can be a simple fix. If it is the bedplate don't wait until your warrenty is about to expire if you want it fixed since sometimes the leaks appear again, so you want as much warrenty coverage as possible to cover an reoccuring leaks.

Here's a video of a bedplate repair on a 6.0 but it basically the same on your 6.4 as well. And yes it's cost big $$$ to have this repair done on your nickel.