View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 11:35 PM
mitch1204
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Follow up...

I know 97-98 had the bad head gaskets that busted and hydro-locked around 70,000. Once the new gaskets were put in it wasn't a bad motor. I know two trucks with about 250K on them motors. This engine had the new head gaskets.

I finally got it done. I used the 2001 plenum, harmonic balancer/flexplate (TDC), IRMC, head temp sensor in back of head replaces 97 coolant temp sensor by the thermostat, crank sensor, knock sensor and the valve covers because of the coil mount on the 01. I don't know if you have to but I went ahead and swapped the exhaust manifolds.

After a no start I found I had no fuel. Crap! The truck evidently been sitting awhile. After a little troubleshooting I found I had a bad pump along with 15 gallons of old bad fuel and a clogged screen. I slid the bed back and fixed that problem along with a new filter. After a few primes I fired it off on the first start.

Though it's do-able, next time I'll spend the extra money and buy the right year motor. It wasn't worth all I went through to get it right but it runs good, has great compression and oil pressure.