View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 02:51 AM
wallsy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reg,

And there be the problem. I do not have a transcooler between the intercooler and A/C condensor unit. It basically runs from the gearbox to the bottom tank of the coolant radiator, then out and up to the 350mm x 350mm gearbox intercooler. And yes, you are right, it is a snake type cheap one at that.

Seems I will have to get a proper transcooler fitted. Fitting one in front of the A/C should be ok I guess. Can you see any issues with that, other than the A/C may not be that cold, which it isn't anyway, or should I put it back to where it originally was.

This takes me to the next issue. A mate of mine brought his 04 dual cab F250 around for me to have a look at. He was running 2 coolers. 1 where you said between the intercooler and A/C and a small one, about the size of a house brick just to the left side of his number plate, tucked away down in there.

One other thing I did notice is that the intercoolers have plastic outlets. My intercooler is all aluminium aftermarket. Maybe that is why I have no transcooler in there anymore. Although saying that, the rough dimensions you gave me for the standard trans cooler being 30mm deep, it should fit as I have about 50mm gap in there. Go me stuffed.

At least we all figured out why the gearbox is getting so HOT. I wondered why it had a gearbox temp gauge in it when I bought. The previous owner must have known it was an issue. I am taking it to a gearbox place this week to have a chat to the guy to see what he has that will replace the standard transcooler or a better way of keeping it cool. Maybe just a good quality one in front of the A/C condensor radiator is the go. See what he says.

As for the complete aluminium intercooler? It has very large outlets on it, larger that the pipes going into it. Must have been done with the turbo upgrad I imagine. Really helped have another F250 next to mine to compair as I have not done this before. Learning all the time about this truck.