View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 09:03 AM
ajsanteiro
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wagonboy
Like my 82 4.9, you have a bad vacuum advance diaphragm.
Just checked the vacuum advance diaphragm by fist disconnecting the original vacuum line and hooking up a length of tubing to the inlet?/outlet? of the diaphragm and then proceeding to suck the diaphragm until vacuum was created on my tongue. It then held the vacuum to my tongue until I pulled it off, and I could see the arm moving all the way in and out.

However, the vacuum lines pulled off the diaphragm had no vacuum or pressure that could be built in them, sounded like they wide open on the other end, somewhere in the carburetor area. That's normal right?

So, so far, I am realizing that something in this vacuum system is creating a stutter/stumble like idle, and I am also having a possibly separate problem that does not allow the engine to rise high in rpm in any gear without REALLY stumbling and giving nothing. I say 'possibly separate' because it does this with or without the vacuum lines hooked up to the advance on the distributor.

Where can I find some solid information on how to tune this single barrel carter? It's got vacuum type and electrical switches on the exterior that are likely not to spec/adjustment.

Thanks all so far.