View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 10:33 PM
DPDISXR4Ti
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
EEC-IV PCM Capacitor Leakage Problem

This isn't "new" news - it's been discussed here several times how our PCM's are increasingly failing due to capacitor leakage. Here's some further info w/ pics if you're not familiar with this problem....A9x ECM's (and same years ECM's) Failures Due to Age

So tonight I thought I'd dig a little deeper and cracked open several EEC-IV PCM's that I happen to have. First, I opened up my spare for the truck, and sure enough, two of the three capacitors show signs of leakage. Then I checked several others - at least six, ranging in age from the late 80's to early 90's. None of them showed any problems at all.

I should add, there are several different types of EEC-IV PCM's - I went through 4 different cover configurations across the 6 different units. They all use blue-cased capacitors, but only the F-150 one showed capacitor leakage problems, and the F-150 case configuration is unlike any of the others I have.

My best guess is that the F-150 PCM's of this era were produced by one particular vendor who used inferior capacitors. Check yours today.