View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 05:58 PM
MadDogHauling
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to site, 1959 F350 Dually need tips

Hi, Im new to the site and was hoping to get started on getting some tips and assistance, you know, general networking.

Im a born and raised resident of the interior region of Alaska. I traded a previous project car, a 1966 VW Karmann Ghia for my current 1959 F350 dually stakebed this past fall (its winter here...). The VW was the project that I blew my money on when I was 18, initially I loved it, but quickly it became apparent that it was way more work than I had intended, after a few years of burning up money I finally came to the realization that it really wasnt a useful car, even though it was pretty, and that like most of my friends and neighbors, I wanted a pickup. Put it up on Craigslist for trade and lo and behold the 1959 dually landed in my lap.

The truck. Ok, so its a 1959 Ford F350, with the dually rear axle and a stake bed. It has a 1975 300cid straight 6, four on the floor and a 5.14 Timken rear axle. The bad: Its 2wheel drive (bad in my terrain) It currently doesnt have a working speedometer, and a marginally functioning fuel gauge.

Things I would like to seek advice for:

Are there any good aftermarket windshield wipers?! I have only been able to find repros, and they all suck! Im looking for a modern-ish replacement.

Help with the speedometer; the gauge works, the cable is good. The problem is the gear. I cannot find out which driven gear I should use. Surprise surprise, there isnt an online calculator that factors in the 16x7.5 tires and the 5:14 rear axle. I just bought one on a whim and stuck it in the port. Only problem is, I cant get it to stay in contact with the drive gear. From about 0-20mph it will read alright then it starts bouncing up and down.

Is there any way to secure the driven gear to the drive gear
?

What drive gear should I be using?