View Single Post
Old 01-13-2004, 05:22 PM
Michael Littman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little follow up and some questions: I work at a High School that has an excellent mechanics teacher. I swung my whining truck by his room this morning. The moment he looked at the engine he said the noise was a belt noise and that I ought to spray some belt dressing on the belt. I was sort of dubious of this but went ahead and bought the dressing and tried it out this afternoon. I gave two good squirts to the top and bottom of the belt as the engine was running. The squeel has abated for the moment so I hope this did the trick. Two odd things happened as I sprayed the belt dressing on the belt. First I noticed the tensioner descend at least 2-3 inches....like it was getting more purchase on the belt. This only happened once. The other odd thing was that the belt tried to ride up and off the power steering pump pulley as I sprayed the belt near that location. I had to turn the engine off and thumb the belt back into place lest it fly off. I was wondering what y'all made of the belt ride up and the descending tensioner? I have not replaced the tensioner as it appears to be working fine. I have a new belt on hand but I want to see if the dressing does the trick on the old belt as it is only about a year old or so. What do y'all think?