View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Sunbum47
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Son of Lightning

When I began the process of shopping for a regular cab/short bed 2013 F150 several months ago, it quickly became obvious Ford is pushing their new Ecoboost engine ... a twin-turbo V-6 ... which underwhelmed me during a test drive. There is a definite "turbo lag" when you first hit the accelerator, plus when I think "twn turbo" I immediately think expensive, exotic cars like Porsche and that made me think of $$$$ every time I brought it in for service.
Soooo ... I doggedly insisted on the 5.0L V-8 with a limited slip differential that had to be custom ordered from the factory.
While I was awaiting delivery, I began doing some research on the performance specs for the 5.OL V-8 and was pleasantly surprised to learn it was the same engine 360hp that that came in the 2011 Mustang GT and was nicknamed "the coyote" and I began thinking this truck might be a lot faster than I ever imagined.
My first test drive last week confirmed it was all that ... and more. It literally SLAMMED me back in my seat. The salesman and I subsequently timed it in zero to 60 in 4.6 seconds .... and he confirmed that's damn near Ford Lightning fast, so we nicknamed it "Son of Lightning."
Now get this ... the salesman was so blown away by my truck he tried to convince his sales manager to order at least one or two more to have on the lot so he could take customers for test drives ... because he was convinced once they did he could sell them like crazy ... but he was almost unanimously voted down by the dealership' exec's who insisted NOBODY wants to buy regular cab/shortbed pick-up trucks anymore.
I can't believe that's true .... but I thought you guys who still appreciate that special tingling feeling you get in the seat of your pants when that throaty V-8 ROARS to life would appreciate this story.