View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 11:31 PM
upstatechvytrux
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to forum, 4r100 slipping

Hi everyone, first post so hopefully i'm in the right spot. Usually a chevy or a dodge guy but couldn't pass up a deal on an 02 F250 with the 7.3L powerstroke. Got it from a friend of a friend but the history of the truck is unknown as it was purchased at auction. Truck has been driven with no transmission problems such as shifting, slipping, etc. Stock tranny pan was swapped due to leaks. New fluid (mercon v i believe but not sure) and filter were put in it. I changed the radiator (with the integrated trans cooler). Transmission wouldn't engage as I was trying to heat it up to check fluid level to replace what I lost in the cooler. Added the appropriate amount of mercon v and took it around the block. It was slipping a little so I kept it very slow just to have the truck moving. after about a half mile i was back in my driveway and all gears forward and reverse were engaging instantly and the truck would crawl without any throttle on the flat surface. Went back out again and by the time I got back it was slipping again. Would not move until tach was about 1500 rpms. truck has about 240,000, not sure about rebuilds or anything. the vehicle was in an accident and that's what prompted the tranny pan replacement as it was dented. when removed it was discovered that it had crushed the tranny filter. truck was not driven much in that condition. do not have a code scanner but am thinking about buying one so advice on a decent one that is pretty cheap would help. no check engine light on after the initial test of all 'idiot' lights nor is the od light blinking as I've heard happens with transmission problems. also not sure if related or not but the esof motor does make a sound when selecting 4hi and the light comes on but no sound or light for 4lo, not sure if that could be related or a separate problem. checked fuses in the panel by the hood release and all the connections on the shift position sensor as well as some other troubleshooting stuff. please help as I would like to tag this truck and start riding it around!!! thanks in advance!!!