Old 10-17-2012, 09:39 AM
NLPRacing
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Making an Expedition a better towing machine

We recently purchased a travel trailer that I am now towing with our 2007 Expedition EL 4x2. It has the HD towing package, but not the load leveling suspension. It tows it well enough, I'm just looking to make it a little better and want some opinions.
<O</O
1) Tires - I am looking to upgrade to a tire with an "E" load rating. I have the 20" wheels and the only tire size I can find is an LT285/55R20E, which is a little wider than stock and about a 1/2" bigger in diameter. Is anybody running E load tires on their 20" stock rims and if so, what brand & size are you using? I'm leaning towards the Nitto Terra Grappler AT as I've had good luck with those on my old F150.
<O</O
2) Suspension - Like I said, it doesn't have the load leveling suspension and despite using an Equalizer hitch, it does sag just a bit more than I like. Is there anything out there aftermarket wise for these? I can't find anything. If not, what do you do for a "saggy rear"? I did find a "helper spring" but I couldn't find any reviews on them. Thoughts?
<O
3) Coolers - Should I look into upgrading the transmission fluid and/or engine oil cooler or is the stock HD trailer tow package stuff sufficient?

<O</OThanks for looking and I look forward to reading your replies.