View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 09:02 AM
berick
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been following IPR's new products now for several months and have had the opportunity to personally chat with Vince several times. I continually search other forums and the net for current reviews on their products as they are fairly new designs (in particular the Gen II EGR Delete, the High Flow Coolant Filter and the Oil Cooler Relocation Kit). I think their products are great in theory and design but would like to see more feedback from "hands-on" folks about the Oil Cooler Relocation Kit.

I have already purchased their Gen II EGR Delete along with their High Flow Coolant Filter. I am on the fence about the Oil Cooler Relocation Kit. I like the idea of using the coolant to cool the oil rather than air like the BPD design. It gets cold here in the winter months and having the oil and coolant work together to get the truck up to proper operating temperatures makes a great deal of sense to me. The air cooled units could be shoving air at -40 degrees farenheit through the oil cooler in the winter months which only prolongs warm up times for me and I really do not trust a thermostat at those temperatures to handle oil flow (water yes... oil no... viscosity is quite a bit different in the two). I also like the thought of maintaining a factory delta.... now that the 15 degree delta has finally been drilled into almost everyones head... why not stay with it? The IPR kit is "supposed" to maintain those same delta specs and it allows a normal backyard mechanic to swap out an oil cooler in well under an hour with the most basic tools. What's wrong with that idea? Add to that the savings in initial cost over the Bulletproof kit and I think you have a winner...... if they can solidify the claims.

I mentioned I am not sold on the IPR Oil Cooler Relocation Kit...... There have not been enough people that have installed them and I have spoken to at least one fella who had a 50 degree difference in his deltas. This was a major red flag for me and the reason I chose to hold off until I could see more reviews on the product. Wether it was his installation that messed things up or wether it was the product itself... I do not know. He is still working on getting the problem resolved. He did say Vince at IPR was top notch as far as service goes and he said he has not been disappointed at all with the service. Here are his Youtube videos of his installation.... keep in mind they are rather lengthy.

Powerstroke 6.0 IPR Remote Oil Cooler + High Flow Coolant Filter Install - Part 1 - YouTube

Powerstroke 6.0 IPR Remote Oil Cooler + High Flow Coolant Filter Install - Part 2 - YouTube

Powerstroke 6.0 IPR Remote Oil Cooler + High Flow Coolant Filter Install - Part 3 - YouTube

Powerstroke 6.0 IPR Remote Oil Cooler + High Flow Coolant Filter Install - Part 4 - YouTube

Powerstroke 6.0 IPR Remote Oil Cooler + High Flow Coolant Filter Install - Part 5 - YouTube

Powerstroke 6.0 IPR Remote Oil Cooler + High Flow Coolant Filter Install - Part 6 - YouTube

Powerstroke 6.0 IPR Remote Oil Cooler + High Flow Coolant Filter Install - Part 7 - YouTube

IPR Remote Oil Cooler Defect/Recall - YouTube

Powerstroke 6.0 IPR Remote Oil Cooler + High Flow Coolant Filter Install - Part 8 - YouTube

He has not got his video series complete because he has a few bugs to work out with IPR. The biggest one being the 50 degree delta which he mentioned was coming from the way he had the high flow coolant filter hooked up. Instead of running it from the heater core lines he chose to run it before it entered the oil cooler.... which makes awesome sense if you want to keep your oil cooler longer! Sounds like there is so much crud in his system however that he needs to change the coolant filter more often with this type of instal.