View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 07:25 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This is how I feel about injectors. Simply, the only way you are going to improve any code injector, is to open the orifice to flow more fuel, or cut the pintle out of the way. The stroke, without seriously modding things, is constant depending on shim stack and volume the pump is putting out at any given time. Now with that being said, you simply dont need to increase the flow because the fuel is getting through anyway, even with stock pintles... When we start breaking input shafts because the pump is flowing beyond what the injector will in the same amount of time, then its time to open up the orifice/cut the pintle, until then, it makes no difference, except for atomization, which is moot in an IDI anyway. Atomization for combustion, the part that makes the engine run happens post pre-chamber, and all atomization does within the pre-chamber, is either light the mix faster (more atomization) or slower (less atomization), both of which can be controlled by timing the pump accordingly. There is no proof that atomization from the injector itself does anything, there is a lot of people that say "YA, its SO much better" but I have a feeling that the plecebo effect is alive and well... There is no dyno numbers that prove anything, but I do see a lot of similar setups with different injectors making all about the same power... If you think about it, the IDI engine was developed because of this reason, low injection pressures and un-precise spray patterns could be used effectively... Thats why atomization makes such little difference...

XLT, my next set of injectors will be just as you say, a new set of G-codes... Maybe a set of BB's... Either way, they will get a decent pop, and thats it...