View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 03:04 PM
propaneguy72
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Opossum
Got a plan for that, with different carb intakes I can turbo charge the propane carbs and and not the gas carb. That will allow me to fully utilize the advantages of the propane and make more power while keeping the gas carb as backup. I'll tune the timing for the propane and turbo, and that should be ok for the gas without turbo when needed. I'll idle on the propane and keep the gas carb closed up and empty when not in use. so when not in use it's really just a cap for the top of the manifold.

IDK for sure where I'll mount the tank, but there are plenty of options, not worried about that. Likely at first in the bed, then as I am confident of it working out and want to refill not swap tanks replace the front tank or move my exhaust and mount on other frame rail opposite the main tank.
I'm not an expert myself, but I work in the propane industry and just bought a 2002 f250 with a V10 and had just had a propane conversion installed on it . I was getting 9.2 mpg before and my first tank of propane I got 8mpg, keep in mind that since the conversion I have constantly had my foot in it. I've talked with the tech that installed it and as the novelty of it wears off I will probably end up around 8.5 mpg on propane. A few things about the conversion. It is a propane injection system, I have 10 sepperate propane injectors. A computer that works with my factory computer and does not interfere with it at all. I have a tank in the bed and it comes to the engine in liquid and goes through a vaporizer that is similar to the old styles back in the 80's . It starts every morning on gas and when reaches temperature switches automatically to propane. If I choose not to be on propane I simply press a botton and it switches the gasoline injectors on and the propane injectors off. I love it so far and have notice no discernible power differance . The system is a PRINS and was expensive but I will easily recoup the money in less then a year . I am in the propane industry so get it at a very good price. The average person should recoup the cost in around 18 months . There are also ways if room allows where you live to get a bulk tank and have it delivered to your home to save a lot of money on propane as well. I just went 428 miles on 60.00 bucks !