Thread: Need advice
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 09:58 AM
New User

robertcoogan is starting off with a positive reputation.
robertcoogan@me.com
Need advice

I have a 2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab and I live in the desert, so summer temps can regularly reach over 100F and evening temps hover in the mid-70's. In the winter that goes down to 60-65 (day) to 40-45 at night.

My truck runs great, I average between 18 to 19 MPG on a 25 gallon tank. But the price of diesel is getting above $4.40 now, with prices reaching in excess of $4.70 down beyond Palm Springs. I am averaging around $5,500 to $6,500 annual costs just for fuel. I really need to cut down on my fuel costs, and am willing to spend money to save money over the long term.

I would like to convert my truck to run on biodiesel, but do not know if a straight biodiesel setup or a dual-fuel setup is best. I know that it is cheaper to convert for biodiesel (just replacing the fuel lines and possibly the tank, plus heating elements for the most part). But my friend says I should go duel-fuel. He has a F-350 with that setup and swears by it. I however would prefer to just be able to fill up with processed biodiesel, it seems so easy. No expensive petroleum diesel.

The problem with dual-fuel conversions to me is the up-front cost of the kits. I know NOTHING about engines, aside from changing the oil and the most basic operator maintenance. So I would need someone to install it (no problem on that one here).

I have checked several sites, and they offer several dual-fuel kits, they vary little in concept but differ in design. Here are the ones I have found:

Greasecar Truck Kits | Greasecar Vegetable Fuel Systems

Diesel Conversion Kit | Vegetable Oil Fuel System | SVO Kit

Of the two I like the Organic Mechanic, it has the controller for monitoring WFVO. I can afford the kits, but need to know which is really worth it. There is a ready supply of WFVO here in Yucca Valley, CA but I would have to drive about 40 minutes to get processed biodiesel in Palm Springs (not a headache, my wife will turn it into a shopping trip).

Your advice is very much needed and very much appreciated! Thank you for your time -