Old 09-11-2012, 09:18 PM
aquanaut20
Cargo Master
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by twaunsaint001
well I just thought I'd add my experience with the upper ball joints on the 2001 ford explorer sport..
I recently replaced both driver & passenger sides upper ball joints for a customer.. at first look the control arm & ball joint looked separable; when calling in parts' the parts dealer told me that the A-Arm & upper ball joint is sold as one piece.. I told the parts dealer that i had already removed the ball joint from the A-Arm; and that it is in two pieces.. I ordered the replacement ball joints, and installing them on the A-Arm (control arm); the ball joints didn't fit..!! I did some research and found out that the OE Control arm/ Ball joint isn't supposed to be disassembled it is as one piece, it's recommended that you replace the whole control arm w/ ball joint.. the new control arms- other then the one that came on the vehicle; you'll be able to change "just the ball joints" once the OE control arm is replaced with a after market one..!!
I can confirm this info, investigate if you have the OEM no re/re, before ordering parts.... Philip