Old 09-11-2012, 07:43 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner
Received 614 Likes on 551 Posts
Originally Posted by thundersnow70
so i got to looking at my front axle while i wait to take it to the shop for an alignment. then i got into the shop manual and got to looking at the diagram of the front axle. seems like the caster and camber are non adjustable. i thought it had a cam in the upper cap but its just a bearing. so now i wonder if " I " should take it apart and replace the worn parts. it doesnt look to bad other than trying to figure out the spindle arm bearing preload with an in. torque wrench. randy's ring and pinion said they have all the parts but i need to take it apart and get the bearing and seal numbers. they said there were 3 different models of the 44 from 59 to 77. i think if i do the work myself i would replace everything i could
1. new lock-out hubs
2.inner and outer wheel bearings w/seals
3. axle shaft u joints
4.spindle bearings
5.wiper kits
6.tie rod and drag link ends
i did a fte search and didnt come up with a good thread. has anyone done this on there 4x4 fridge? seems like more and more 4wd fridges are finding fte so we might as well jump into this one way or another. it sounds like chets 59 f100 needs this work also. any thoughts? spur? teddy? havi........you still out there! gb, i know yours is a 2wd but anyone that can turn a fridge into an oil burner can talk me into this!
Well, I've got to say that if that thing were mine, I would be tearing it down myself. You just can't learn any younger! You may be facing a few unknowns at this point but that will all change when you get it all apart and laid out in a nice orderly fashion. (By the way, it might be best to tear down only one side at a time to have something to look at), I have only worked on newer 4X4's, so I will not be any real help but I certainly would encurage you to do your own work if you have the time and space to do so! Keep on starring it down and before you know it that thing will be in pieces before your eyes!