Thread: 352 Timing Mark
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 86ford302help
im actually working on an old 352 FE right now and i cant for the life of me get it running right....i have put new timing chain assembly on it and new points new plug wires and plugs.....i found TDC and put timing chain in the correct timing....distributor is in the right spot....im not sure if i have the points set right, nor do i know how t set them correctly ....but it just wont hardly run...everytime i give it any gas whatsoever it sputters and pops....sorry to hijack ur post but i cant see to find out anything...anyone know whats making this happen.....please, any info will help
Backfires through tail pipe or carb ? Some input without standing over it personally....

Vacuum Leak or stuck vacuum/mechanical advance, or poorly adjusted idle circuit causing full vac advance at idle. Put the light on it, disconnect the vac advance @ distributer and plug hose. Start confirm correct idle advance setting. Give throttle and watch for advance in timing. If it checks out and still sputters/backfires, look for a vac leak.